I’ve been using the thesaurus trying to find some other word than LIE to describe Senator Jane English’s campaign mailer. Somehow “deceit,” “deception,” “dishonest,” “fabrication,” “falsehood,” “fib,” and “tall tale” are just not suitable to describe the mailer.
FIRST SIDE OF JANE ENGLISH’S MAILER
The first side of the mailer claims that Representative Donnie Copeland is somehow helping Obama by opposing Governor Hutchinson’s plan to continue Obamacare Medicaid Expansion. That does not even begin to make any sense. Then comes an outlandish claim.
CLAIM: Donnie Copeland voted to!!!
- Close Nursing Homes SB101
- End Programs for the Disabled SB101
- Eliminate health care for our children SB101
FALSE: Ask Senator English if her “NO” vote against the same appropriation in 2013 meant that she was trying to close nursing homes, end programs for the disabled, and eliminate health care for our children. Of course she will say her vote didn’t do that, and that is because that is not what her vote or Representative Copeland’s vote stood for. And she knows it. (Senators in glass houses….)
The bill (SB101) was an appropriation bill that anti-Obamacare legislators tried to stop long enough to get a compromise that would end Obamacare Medicaid Expansion. They tried in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- HB1219 of 2013 – AN ACT FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES – DIVISION OF MEDICAL SERVICES APPROPRIATION FOR THE 2013-2014 FISCAL YEAR. SENATOR ENGLISH “NO” (Tried to stop Obamacare Medicaid Expansion with the “NO” vote but flipped to the other side the following year)
- SB111 of 2014 – AN ACT FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES – DIVISION OF MEDICAL SERVICES APPROPRIATION FOR THE 2014-2015 FISCAL YEAR. SENATOR ENGLISH “YES” (Traded her vote to become the deciding vote to continue funding of Obamacare Medicaid Expansion. In return she got more state funding for a program she was involved with when she was a state bureaucrat.)
- SB101 of 2015 – AN ACT FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES – DIVISION OF MEDICAL SERVICES APPROPRIATION FOR THE 2015-2016 FISCAL YEAR. Senator English “YES”. Representative Copeland “NO”
The vote in 2013, 2014, and 2015 were NEVER to end the programs she mention. It was to force the end of Obamacare Medicaid Expansion. Because of her 2013 vote, Senator English KNEW these charges were false.
SECOND SIDE OF JANE ENGLISH’S MAILER
The second side of her mailer begins with the words “Donnie Copeland’s Plan for Health” and is followed by four obviously false claims.
CLAIM 1. Stops funding for important programs like ARKIDS, nursing homes, and programs for the disabled on July 1 SB101
FALSE: This is the same legislation she referred to on the first page and she knows it is false because she voted the same way in 2013. See the discussion above concerning the first page.
The next three accusations are all a part of the same MYTH and so they are listed together
CLAIM 2. Sends Arkansas’ Medicare Dollars to Washington D.C. CLAIM 3. Let’s president Obama raise our taxes and keep the money. CLAIM 4. Taxes our businesses by more than 50 million dollars a year.
ALL THREE ARE FALSE: This is the “If we don’t adopt Obmacare Medicaid Expansion in Arkansas then Washington DC’ will get our money” myth. This myth was soundly debunked by Congresses’ own researchers. Over a year ago the Congressional Research Service said there is NO pile of dedicated tax money to support Obamacare Medicaid Expansion. (See letter from the Congressional Research Service on January 30, 2015)
So, what funds Obamacare Medicaid Expansion? US Debt which is now over $19 Trillion and much of it is owed to China, and soon Arkansas will have to pay part of the cost.
WAS THERE ANYTHING TRUTHFUL ON THE MAILER?
Yes the part where it says: “Paid for by the English for Senate Campaign”.